[scribus-dev] Table/Cell PP sections sketches

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Mon Jun 20 16:23:27 UTC 2011

On 6/20/11 6:18 PM, a.l.e wrote:
> salut louis,
>> I understand what you say but ... at the same time, wouldn't it be a
>> smart
>> move to determine "also" what should be done even if we don't have the
>> resources yet to implement it? For me it would be a signal that we in
>> fact
>> are willing to make that kind of step, no matter how steep is the
>> slope. And
>> when asking for help, we could show that we do have a game plan towards
>> better usability.
>
> my personal answer is: no, there is not much use in having them
> sitting around.
>
> seeing that they are not implemented, just frustrates the person who
> wrote the recommendations.
> we have already seen this happening several times for scribus.
> and it may even be a factor blocking the programmers (most of all new
> contributors), if they feel that there is too much expectation on
> their work...
>

> i'm not against doing UI analysis before starting coding, but i really
> think that we should only do them
> - for parts of the programs
> - once we know that somebody will be able to work on it

I'd agree with you completely there a_l_e... except I'd like to see some
form of GUI design done as a popup manager for 1 type of frame.. eg..
when someone selects an item, we could have graphical buttons showing
down the side.. eg text frame linking, import/export or whatever.

Then all we would need is someone to test coding that. If that was done
and seen to be useful, then it would be worthwhile spending the time
replicating it.