[scribus-dev] Table/Cell PP sections sketches

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 14:08:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:

>>> Frankly speaking, I don't understand your urge to hide everything in
>>> menus and be happy with that. No, it's OK to have add/remove rows in
>>> main menu and context menu, but a toolbar floating at a small offset
>>> from the table (right on canvas) will make such common operations much
>>> easier to access.
>>
>> That's interesting and worth exploring. Bringing the actions closer to
>> what they act on is a very good idea IMO.
>>

> Two things:
>
> Be sure to anticipate the desire for having different line styles for top,
> left, right, bottom borders of each cell, and also around the entire table.
> Not sure all of this makes sense, but it's what people have become
> accustomed to thanks to Wordperfect, Word, etc.
>
> You could also consider the functions that might be contained in a context
> menu, which I think is even more intuitive than something on the toolbar --
> the problem with toolbar functions is that you need to create some icon that
> makes some sense as to its function, and we've already got a sea of
> functions there.

You see, we allways end up with "I think is even more intuitive
than...". This is plain wrong, and it's more or less why I wrote
before that the whole properties system needs a usability study before
any UI design starts. I'm not sure whether it's too late to
participate in OpenUsability this year, but it's something worth
condiering for the next year, in my opinion.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org