[scribus-dev] Table/Cell PP sections sketches

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Jun 20 13:34:56 UTC 2011

On 06/20/2011 08:04 AM, Elvis Stansvik wrote:
> 2011/6/20 Alexandre Prokoudine<alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 2:09 PM, a.l.e wrote:
>>
>>> adding and removing rows, cells or columns should be made as an action
>>> relative to the current selection...
>>> in the PP, in the context menu and / or in the main menues...
>>
>> Frankly speaking, I don't understand your urge to hide everything in
>> menus and be happy with that. No, it's OK to have add/remove rows in
>> main menu and context menu, but a toolbar floating at a small offset
>> from the table (right on canvas) will make such common operations much
>> easier to access.
>
> That's interesting and worth exploring. Bringing the actions closer to
> what they act on is a very good idea IMO.

Two things:

Be sure to anticipate the desire for having different line styles for
top, left, right, bottom borders of each cell, and also around the
entire table. Not sure all of this makes sense, but it's what people
have become accustomed to thanks to Wordperfect, Word, etc.

You could also consider the functions that might be contained in a
context menu, which I think is even more intuitive than something on the
toolbar -- the problem with toolbar functions is that you need to create
some icon that makes some sense as to its function, and we've already
got a sea of functions there.

(Not a fan of floating toolbars either)