[scribus-dev] Tables GSoC - Weekly Report #7

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 13:09:02 UTC 2011

2011/7/20 Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>:
> On 07/20/2011 06:28 AM, Elvis Stansvik wrote:
>>
>> 2011/7/20 Elvis Stansvik<elvstone at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>

>> snip.
>>
>>> * Did some aesthetic improvements to the handling of case 14 and 15 in
>>> the border joining: When four borders meet at a cross and they can
>>> join pairwise, it looks much better if the thicker of the two pairs
>>> win the conflict. So we separate the two cases 14 and 15 into 14A,
>>> 14B, 15A and 15B. I think our handling of these cases are now more
>>> graceful than InDesign's. The picture of all the cases on the wiki has
>>> been updated, as well as the test script that tests them all.
>>
>> Thought I better explain this with some pictures, since maybe it's a
>> little confusing what I really mean. The attached pictures shows the
>> new case 15A rendered in Scribus and InDesign.
>
> I agree with your assessment, but I would hope that users don't create such
> ugly situations. Yours just seems the least ugly choice.

Of course. It's a corner case. Though I think there are worse. The
user will actually end up with the case I attached if he just selects
a cell and makes its border a little thicker than the surrounding
cells, which I think is a valid use case if you'd e.g. like to
highlight a cell containing something important in a table.

> Having too many line styles in a table is a lot like having too many fonts.

I agree 100%.

Elvis