[scribus-dev] Help !

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Fri Jul 15 05:43:24 UTC 2011

hi marc,

> THANK YOU !!! I'll give that scrapbook thing a shot ! And I'll look
> up that alt version of Scribus, too.
> Really appreciate your super-fast response - means a helluva lot !
> Again, thanks !
> Marc
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 07/14/2011 07:58 PM, Marc Hoy wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Scribus Community !
> >> I have a problem that probably many people have. I started using
> >> the experimental version of Scribus - the 1.4.Orc3 - and - as I'm
> >> sure anyone who uses it knows, it's buggy as hell !
> >> But that's not the main problem.
> >> The principal crisis is that I am in way too deep to abandon it at
> >> this point (I am finishing the second reformatting of a text -
> >> over 300 pages, with 250+ illustrations), and - here's the killer
> >> - I can't open my Scribus file/doc in any other version of Scribus.
> >> Nor will this doc work in any other kind of software. I can
> >> convert it to pdf, of course, but no other pdf reader (I've tried
> >> about a dozen - a bunch of Windows pdf readers, and several
> >> Ubuntu/Linux types - I have both OS's on my computer, though the
> >> Scribus is installed on Windows XP) will render it manipulable. It
> >> just comes out as varying types of gibberish. So - any ideas on
> >> how I can translate this document to another kind of publishing
> >> software ? I've had several computer-savvy friends try to do this,
> >> without success. But none of them have had much experience with
> >> Scribus, and I'm hoping someone in the community has faced down
> >> this particular demon, and won. I would be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL if
> >> anyone with any ideas would offer comments/suggestions/ideas, etc.
> >> etc.
> >>
> >>  HI Marc,
> >
> > 1. Best to send these things to the regular User mail list (see the
> > list of recipients)
> >
> > 2. You should be able to get the rc5 1.4.0, which can load this
> > file. There are still a few bugs, but probably not show stoppers
> > for you.
> >
> > 3. Another work around is to save page content to the Scrapbook,
> > then go to an older version in the 1.3.5 series, and pull them in
> > there. This uses the same Scrapbook.

trying 1.4.0 RC 5 is probably easier than going for an older version.

and, basically, the whole 1.4.0 RC series is usable and not buggy as hell...
there are bugs, but if you can control yourself a little bit, you can avoid the few actions which are indeed buggy!

it's a release candidate: always use the latest and check if the bugs which are affecting you have already been reported to the bug tracker!
if they are serious and the fix is easy enough, you may even have a very fast correction!

have a nice day
a.l.e