[scribus-dev] GSoC 2011 announced

O. Moskalenko malex at scribus.info
Thu Jan 27 03:59:56 CET 2011

* Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> [2011-01-25 08:14:45 -0500]:

> On 01/25/2011 06:04 AM, Andreas Vox wrote:
> >On a more serious note, we should have a discussion on how to proceed with
> >this years application after we dropped out last year.
> >I think we should document changes in the planned process for evaluating
> >student proposals into our application: requirement to provide a working
> >patch and be in discussion with team members before acceptance, and also
> >more critical evaluation from our side come to my mind.
>
> I think a big problem may be the selection process, and determining
> an applicant's true interest in working on Scribus. Perhaps a more
> formalized process of interaction between applicant and potential
> mentor might help.
>
> Greg

Hi Greg,

I did a strong tightening up of the formality of Scribus Team's GSoC process
last year in the proposal we submitted. Guess what - it didn't make a
difference. We didn't get selected because there were more good proposals then
money and it was out turn to fall through the cracks. We should definitely
try again. We have to make our proposal compelling enough to make it into the
initial selection pool and then hope for the best. Most of all we need good
ideas and eloquent presentation. Maybe you could get involved. All previous
years it had just been my writing, so maybe we need some change.

Cheers,

Alex