[scribus-dev] backends rewrite

an01169 Franz.Schmid at altmuehlnet.de
Sat Jan 15 20:44:45 CET 2011

Am 15.01.2011 19:31, schrieb Alexandre Prokoudine:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday avox mentioned that the team is planning to rewrite PDF, PS
> and SVG backends, and work on rewriting PDF one has already started.
>
> First of all, I'd like to know if I got it right.
>
> If I got it right, then I'd like to know why it was decided to do so
> instead of fixing Cairo, which already has PDF, PS and SVG backends,
> and let everyone benefit from the changes (especially Inkscape).
Hi Alexandre,

i personally don't know about such plans. But it might have been
discussed on IRC.

I can imagine the use of Cairo for the SVG backend, but not for the
PDF and PS backend, as Cairo is still missing CMYK and Spot Colors.
CMYK is very very important for Scribus, otherwise it hasn't the
slightest chance to claim to be a professional tool. On the other
hand the interest in CMKY is very low for Cairo as this library is
mostly used for on screen rendering where RGB is important.

Greetings,
Franz Schmid