[scribus-dev] Using PyQt4 in Scribus Script on Windows XP

Brian J. Rohan brianjrohan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 05:13:39 UTC 2011

Friday, April 15, 2011
10:08:35 PM

Hello. I am currently using a Windows XP machine (32 bit). I am new to Scribus, and have enjoyed using it over the other expensive program for desktop publishing. In Scribus I have a prewritten script I would like to run. The beginning of the script contains:

!/usr/bin/env python
-- coding: utf-8 --
from PyQt4.QtCore import * from PyQt4.QtGui import *
class DockDialog(QDockWidget):

I have installed Python 3.2 via ActivePython (after trying to install from python.org). After the install I then opened a DOS window and typed pymp install pyqt4, which, as far as I could tell installed properly. I then tried to run the script in Scribus and received the following message:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "", line 8, in ? File "C:/Program Files/Scribus 1.3.3.14/share/scripts/Scribus-DockWidgets/DockWidgets.py", line 4, in ? from PyQt4.QtCore import * ImportError: No module named PyQt4.QtCore

I then tried reinstalling PYQT4, by typing what I had before, and I was told that PYQT4 was already installed via:

skipping "pyqt4" already installed at "%APPDATA%\Python" (3.2)

After looking in c:\Python32 in all of the directories I can not find any PYQT files. Where were they installed? How do I make sure that script is able to fing the PYQT4 files necessary to run?

My PATH variable is:

C:\Python32\;C:\Python32\Scripts;

Ultimately I would like help in getting the scribus script to work. Ultimately what I am trying to do can be found here:
http://blog.oak-tree.us/index.php/2010/08/25/scribus-dockwidgets/

Thanks!