[scribus-dev] sla reading and pdf exporting as libraries

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Fri Apr 8 13:37:22 CEST 2011

hi devs,

quite often, we get requests from people wanting to get scribus to work
from the command line.

the answer is always: it's a hard thing to do, we keep an eye on it, but
it's not doable, yet.

personally, i'm wondering if it would be possible to start a project
implementing two aspects of it:

- creating a library for reading the SLA files  into a memory structure

- creating a library for exporting to PDF from a memory structure

those two libraries would be "indipendent" and used by both Scribus and
a new Scribus-CLI.

do you think that such a project would be manageable?

how much time do you estimate it would take for somebody to implement
it? days? weeks? months?

personally, i think that going through this first step would give a code
base on which people wanting specific features could start submitting
patches.
i feel that the current effort to create small programs which manipulate
SLA files or produce PDF from SLAs are a bit a waste of resources and
would like to check if there is another way to go...

ciao
a.l.e

* "indipendent" is meant as not dependent from the rest of the scribus
code (except the plugins for reading different versions of SLAs); the
Qt-dependency is not a problem, at least not for a first try.