[scribus-dev] Scribus documentation translations temporarily removed from builds

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Tue Nov 30 23:44:40 CET 2010

On 11/30/10 11:40 PM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> 2010/11/30 Craig Bradney <cbradney at scribus.info
> <mailto:cbradney at scribus.info>>
>
>     On 11/30/10 11:26 PM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
>>     2010/11/30 Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com
>>     <mailto:gpittman at iglou.com>>
>>
>>         On 11/30/2010 02:24 PM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
>>

>>             I am not too sure to understand either just how the doc
>>             workflow works.
>>
>>             Can we translate the doc? can we help write it? can this
>>             job be on a
>>             wiki? (so we can work on it step by step, from time to
>>             time, alone or in
>>             a group of people). How can we improve the doc workflow,
>>             in fact.
>>

>>         Anyone can translate the docs. Simply pull them out of their
>>         location and edit away. Usually what I see people do on the
>>         wiki, which makes sense, is to copy the original, then
>>         stepwise work through the html file paragraph by paragraph,
>>         leaving the tags other structure in place as you go.
>>
>>         The structure of the docs directories and files is pretty
>>         straightforward, as is the XML file that forms the index. I
>>         have sent Christoph anything I make, since he has commit
>>         rights and I don't.
>>

>>     Do we need commit rights to edit an online doc file? Or to submit
>>     a translation? My understanding of this is it’s tied to the
>>     application only by a URL. Thus, in no way does that affect the
>>     code. It’s a simple link to a website.
>
>     You download the file from SVN, translate it, submit it to
>     Christoph so he can commit it.
>

> What do I do if I want to help write the file on the first place?

Write the content in plain text format and send it to Christoph.. add
the HTML tags if you wish for bold, italic, paragraphs etc if you wish.
He can clarify what he would expect easiest/best/harder/worse.

>>     Can we turn this into a wikipedia-like way to go? If for some
>>     reason someone makes an error and mixes things or deletes some
>>     content, we have ways to return to the previous stage. I see a
>>     lot of disadvantages at pulling out a file, edit away and then
>>     pushing it back, while there are ways to work in a collaborative
>>     (and sync) mode.
>
>     We have SVN.. which contains the history of Scribus for (almost)
>     ever...
>
>     I do not believe we have a nice way of extracting from a wiki to
>     our html format.
>

> There is something I don’t get, obviously. :)
See the SVN checkout info on docs.scribus.net or the wiki.

> Why should we extract something? When we edit a wikipedia page, we
> edit the actual page that is shown to the rest of the world.
>
> The only purpose I would see that would require to extract something
> is when we would like to produce a book out of the content of the
> online doc, using a Scribus template for instance. Then, yes, we would
> need to extract something.

We have no intention of producing an online site only. Christoph is
writing documentation that appears under the Help->Scribus Manual menu
entry, as distributed with Scribus. We have a process that automatically
checks out those HTML files and does some data massaging into the format
you see on docs.scribus.net... so.. from 1 HTML file we get a shipped
HTML file with the installed software, plus the online version at
docs.scribus.net.

There is, and never has been, any intention of producing a book from
this content.