[scribus-dev] Scribus documentation translations temporarily removed from builds

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Nov 29 15:44:40 CET 2010

On 11/28/2010 10:23 PM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> 2010/11/28 Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com <mailto:gpittman at iglou.com>>
>

>     I think that when we get some translators on board for the docs, the
>     screenshots aren't so hard to do. If we knew we had them, I could be
>     making dialog screenshots in various languages as I go...
>

> Good evening Greg,
>
> The issue here is to have material readily available to whoever wants to
> translate any part of the documentation without even having to ask for
> it.

I disagree. The issue is getting translators on board actually working
on the translations. The raw material they need is present in the
1.3.9svn version of Scribus. Witness our Italian friend Alevati
feverishly working on Italian translations for the wiki pages, and it
doesn't seem he is inhibited by the use of English-language screenshots.

One of the big problems we had with the printed manual was getting
output from those who told us they would contribute. I can step in and
begin making screenshots showing the content pertinent to the text, in
whatever language. It may be that some translators won't mind or would
prefer to make their own.

There is not quite so much work as it would seem, since there is still
quite a bit of content that Christoph and I agree is quite out of date,
and wrong to varying degrees, with screenshots that make little sense in
the context of current Scribus versions.