[scribus-dev] Who is going to kill the style dialog ? Urban renewal

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Nov 10 18:06:12 CET 2010

On 11/10/2010 09:55 AM, dbolack at electricmulch.com wrote:
>>> The values are always visible and accessible. They are in the Properties
>>> Palette. The one issue to solve here is to put in the PP all the settings
>>> that are only available into the actual Style Manager.
>
> I'm that wacky class of user who finds those side palettes distracting and
> wasteful of screen real estate.

GUI DESIGN AS URBAN PLANNING

The PP has already become an overcrowded ghetto of functions that may
have seemed like a good idea at the time, but have created a succession
of cramming of information and choices into a dialog which would
realistically need to crowd out the document display to easily show
everything in it.

The answer is to find the philosophical approach that can serve as some
sort of urban renewal, finding a new home for squatters on this precious
real estate. At this point, if you're going to live in the PP, you have
to justify your existence, either in terms of importance or kind of task
you perform. I would propose that anything which is a simple toggle, a
yes/no, check/uncheck, is a prime candidate for eviction to some other
place, maybe a Context menu. (this brings up an interesting possibility
of a Context Menu coming out of right-clicking the PP)

Only after some ground has been cleared, the remaining bits reorganized,
are we in a position to putting more things in there, but even they
would have to abide by the new paradigm.

The weakest argument for keeping something in the PP is that "it's been
there since version 0.x". In software development, the only constant is
change.

So here is my challenge: look at _every_ _single_ item in _every_ _tab_
of the PP and ask, "Does this need to be here?"