[scribus-dev] Style Export Feature (primitive version)

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Jan 27 21:12:33 CET 2010

On 01/27/2010 03:01 PM, a.l.e wrote:
> hi
>

>>> I've implemented a feature which exports all the styles in a
>>> scribus document. The story goes like this :
>>> [...]
>>> I think this will also help in sharing of Scribus styles and
>>> creating a database of cool scribus style :)
>>>
>> Something else to consider adding would be what we might think of as
>> a modification of Collect for Output, where not only can you export
>> styles, but if desired the font data. If you were going to share a
>> style with someone, you would want to make sure they have the font
>> needed for it.
>>
> i also did talk to jain in irc...
>
> my position was, that you can already do that by
> - creating a new file and
> - importing there the styles from the original files
> - saving it and giving it to your friend
>
> jain replied that this way you get more information into the document as he wishes (tags, properties).

Something worth pointing out that is part of the basis for this idea
(which he shows, but maybe isn't obvious) is that you can take a
"regular" SLA file, strip out everything except for the xml prefix,
<SCRIBUSUTF8NEW...., <DOCUMENT...., the various styles, </DOCUMENT>, and
</SCRIBUSUTF8NEW> tags, and use such a file for importation in Edit Styles.

Note that if you try to load such a file as a document, Scribus will crash.