[scribus-dev] [scribus] Funding budget for allowing export from command line

Henning Schröder henning.schroeder at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 18:39:14 CEST 2010

Hello!

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 11:30 AM, a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:
> dear scribus team,
>
> we have currently two companies willing to give money to finance a
> batch mode for scribus and one company which is ready to pay a student
> to work on this issue.
>
> may i urge you to give answers to those people and to develop a
> document where you define
>
> - what has to be done to get scribus to work in batch mode?
>
> - what are the critical points?
Even on a fast computer it takes some time until Scribus is started.
Additionally my guess is that it takes a really lot of work to split
the rendering part from the core into a re-usable library which
requires no user interaction.
The slow start-up time issue could partly be solved by setting a flag
for each plug-in if it is really required for non-interactive-mode
from the command line.

So I want to remind of a different solution. It is relatively easy to
create a Scribus script which starts a server for remote procedure
calls (e.g. XMLRPC). Then a small rpc client could provide a command
line interface.
I know RPC could raise other problems (hanging connections, dead
locks, etc.) but these issues might be easier to fix than huge
refactorings in Scribus core.

Regards
Henning