[scribus-dev] online docs

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Sep 9 18:12:50 CEST 2009

I think the biggest issue with online docs is what should be covered and
how.

In my view they should not be comprehensive, but mainly focus on the
basic considerations of how to use Scribus. As we know from the mail
list, these basic considerations include some topics quite foreign to
many users, like color management.

In this context, the perspectives that usage of the docs come from will
answer questions such as "How do I...?" where the genesis is some design
concept and its invocation in Scribus, or "I know I can do this .......
but I forget how", "How can I understand this complex dialog regarding
......... that pops up when I click this icon?", or "I know how to do
this in x.x version, but how do I do it in y.y version?

To a large extent, the docs must be self-contained. In other words, we
can't assume internet connectivity for users at all times. Any links to
outside sources should be considered to be additional background info,
explanatory concepts, and information outside of simply using Scribus.

We do not need to show many if any examples (and this marks a contrast
with the printed manual), but rather present whatever it takes to allow
the users to experiment intelligently on their own. This presentation
must allow for those who are well-versed in design, layout, and
commercial printing, but also those who may be naïve to some or all of
these.

The next layer of skill comes from making this accessible in the most
intuitive, rapid fashion possible. Like programming, this is the job
that is never as good as you would like, but requires a sustained effort
to work toward a goal.