[scribus-dev] online docs

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 04:45:58 CEST 2009

Sorry for top-posting. I just can’t find where to insert my little
contribution here...

How I see the doc issue is as follow :

1. We have the application and we should have a basic online doc that would
describe how the various functionnality actually work. We coudl of course
discuss what should go in there and how we could organise the translation
and update processes so this work would actually reflect the evolution of
the application. The online doc would be a minimum but would be helpful to
coders and users as well to keep everything up-to-date.

2. We have an official manual. The word "official" means this book’s content
is agreed upon by the team. The book has lots more information than the
online doc. The explanations put things in perspective. Not only do you have
an explanation of a funtionnality but case scenarios alongside and
contextual information, plus a lot of professional information. A real mise
en scène of the application. This work is not distributed with the
application, the licence is different, the work is of a different kind and
essence than the online doc.

Out of the onine doc, one would have to work hard to create a competitor to
the "official" manual. And out of the "official" manual, one would find no
interest at creating the already existing online docs...

We can clarify the content and tone and approach to the online docs. This
would also include the licence under which we would release it, of course.
We should think ahead about translation issues, and updating issues.

But definitely, we need an online doc that reflects what Scribus is, at each
step of its life. This online doc should be translatable whithout too many
formalities. The teaser for the users would be "You like the online help,
you’ll love the book!".

Just my 2-cents.

Louis