[scribus-dev] online docs

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Sep 8 18:20:12 CEST 2009

On 09/08/2009 06:37 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Christoph Schäfer wrote:

>>> Was the matter actually raised by Debian team?
>>>
>> Yes, because the documentation is under the FDL, which is considered non-free
>> by Debian.
>>
> Well, I'm personally fine with any free license that allows free
> redistribution, modification and translation. I think I'll prepare a
> patch for intro tutorial and layers chapter anyway and just in case
> you have my "yes" to relicense subsmission to anything like CC.

All of these can be relatively moot issues. For example, Christoph
suggested inclusion of the Working with... series. This would require a
serious rewrite to the extent that I don't think that one could
seriously argue any copyright issue.

While I might object to someone taking my wiki articles and compiling
them in some book of theirs (and my objection could be easily assuaged
by them making a monetary contribution to the Scribus project), one can
easily reword some information and make it a unique work. One of the
background issues I feel strongly about when I named my website
infoisfree.com is that you cannot (or should not be able to) copyright
information, data, and knowledge. These will find a way to escape from
your grasp.

We mainly have to have a copyright license that allows any distro some
measure of comfort.