[scribus-dev] online docs

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 10:56:38 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Christoph Schäfer wrote:

>> I'm finishing first take at online docs in Russian right now. I've
>> been rejecting all incoming requests to do that for a couple of years,
>> because the online docs, while having a lot of useful information,
>> have been in a sorry state for as long as I remember them (which
>> means, from the very beginning).
>
> While it can't be denied that many documents are in urgent need of an update,
> and the documentation as whole definitely mirrors the way it developed
> (unstructured), I think "sorry state" is slightly exaggerated.

There is so little information how to actually use the application
that one can barely notice it :) We can argue about politically
correct terms to describe it to no end, but I don't really see much
point in such an activity :)

>> But if we are going to win the new
>> linux at russian-schools tender, we need at least something in Russian.
>> So I did it, fixing some stuff that should have been fixed in the
>> original before being added to 1.3.5. The result however is far from
>> being satisfactory to me.
>
> Could you send your fixes to Peter, Greg, Craig and me?

Then I will have to backport changes from RU to EN :) Will take a while.

>> I think I could spend a good deal of late autumn's time to
>> give the docs same kind of love I gave to Fontmatrix this summer.
>
> Here's my suggestion: First, identify documents that need an update, perhaps
> even use different degrees of urgency.

I don't think this is going to work :) E.g. current "Layers" chapter
for some reason doesn't actually describe the Layers dialog, but
includes outdated information about blending modes which should rather
be in a dedicated chapter.

What *would* work is a whole new structure with bits of old docs
mapped to it (cut and pasted where required).

> My plans for 1.4 are the documentation of the new vector effects, a
> description of all import/export filters, Multiple Duplicate, Transform
> Tools, and http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8397

Okay :)

Alexandre