[scribus-dev] Selectable text in exported formats

Drew Vogel dvogel at intercarve.net
Wed Sep 2 20:39:00 CEST 2009

I have users who develop questionnaires in Scribus, then export to PDF
for printing. Periodically I need to convert this paper questionnaire
into a web questionnaire. I would like to copy/paste the text into the
my code. The text is very difficult to select in the .sla file because
of complex grouping and overlapping objects. The ExtractText script
loses the formatting, which is key to my understanding of what type of
question is being asked. The FoxIt Reader Pro Pack tools won't select
the text in the PDF and their "Save as Text" option leaves the resulting
text file horribly formatted -- to the point of unreadability. Exporting
to a SVG file also leaves the text un-selectable.

This brings me to the point of emailing -dev instead of -users. Is there
any effort currently underway to be able to export the text, with
spatial relationships intact? If there is, I'd like to help. Otherwise I
may start on this myself.