[scribus-dev] GSoC project status: PDF/X export

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jun 16 13:03:44 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 06:56 -0400, Louis Desjardins wrote:

>         Here, the "controlled environment" is Scribus itself. If you
>         ask it to produce
>         a CMYK file, it will convert colors of objects from their
>         declared color space
>         (either on a per item basis or taking it from document’s
>         settings) to the
>         target color space specified for the document. Or, if you
>         disable CM, it will
>         do the very same conversion but based on an _implicit_ target
>         profile.
>         Jean can correct me if i’m wrong or imprecise.
>
> But if we have a CMYK image in, we will have a CMYK image out, without
> any conversion, no?

That should only be the case if the colour space the input image is in
is the same as Scribus's target output colour space.

If you place an untagged CMYK image, then if Scribus's assumed input
CMYK space for untagged images is the same as the target CMYK output
colour space it shouldn't be converted.

Ditto if the input is tagged, and the profile it's tagged with is the
same one as for the output space.

Otherwise, the correct thing for Scribus to do is to convert the input
CMYK image from its colour space to the destination CMYK colour space
(if using PDF/X-1A or untagged CMYK export) or embed it unchanged and
tagged with its profile (in PDF/X-3 export mode).

--
Craig Ringer