[scribus-dev] GSoC project status: PDF/X export

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 00:33:30 CEST 2009

2009/6/15 Pierre Marchand <pierremarc at oep-h.com>

> Vous avez écrit :
> > As for PDF/X-1a, since this format enforces blind exchange where all
> > colors need to be in DeviceCMYK, I have decided to let users export to
> > PDF/X-1a only if the Color Management is turned *off* in the
> > document's setting as opposed to it to be turned on in exporting PDF/
> > X3.
>
> Bad. Having unmanaged (generic in fact) color transformation is not exactly
> the first step of a controlled printing process.

I am not too sure wether this is good or bad since PDF/X-1a requires
explicitely no RGB data but CMYK data. One could assume that the CMYK files
have been produced in a controlled environment and contain the necessary
data.

What strikes me more here is the fact that we would claim that Scribus
supports PDF/X-1a but at the same time the application is, afaik, unable to
flaten the transparency eventually used in that file. In fact, this will
make the format unusable for just any Scribus document containing
transparency.

I know we have discussed briefly this on IRC and it has been mentionned that
flatening transparency is a complicated task. But shouldn’t one come with
the other?

Louis