[scribus-dev] v1.3.5 review, help required

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 18:31:59 CEST 2009

Heya,

I'm finishing my review of upcoming Scribus 1.3.5 for a new web
project that I'm announcing really soon.

Here is the list of currently covered items:

- qt4 port
- rendering speedups
- sane text editing right on canvas, without SE
- new type of object - render frame
- new shapes presets
- curved polyline
- sticky tools
- new document display options (preview mode, nb space etc. display, etc.)
- new path editing tools
- configurable exceptions and ignored words in hyphenation plug-in
- optical margins on both sides
- EPS/AI as swatches -> easy legal Pantone use
- various UI changes (compact widget mode, more verbose Undo History,
improved guides management, guides supported in Align'n'Distribute)
- AI, WMF XFig, Dia/Kivio stencils import
- print preview dialog improvements
- bug fixing activity mentioned
- stable/unstable branches explained
- references to LGM2009 talks (Andreas and Gregory)
- summary on GSoC2009 activity

Apart from that what do you think should be mentioned?

Things I know I'm missing:

- summary of refactoring changes
- summary of changes to SVG import/export
- summary of changes to PDF exporting
- summary of changes to color management
- whether loading speedups were introduced (reports says that loading
complex documents is nearly 5 times faster -- 4 vs 20 secs)

Things I really dislike:

- optical margins on both sides doesn't seem to do anything useful
however hard I try
- outline stroke path effect is buggy - try outlining a thick stroke
of a <> shape and see what it does to inner angles
- sticky tools is IMO silly, it should be the default behaviour, works
just fine in Inkscape
- practically no changes to drawing tools - no sane path drawing and
node editing, no node simplification, no parametric
rectangles/ellipses

When I'm done, I translate this into EN (and localize screenshots) and
upon announcing 1.3.5 publish the review.

Thanks in advance.

Alexandre