[scribus-dev] working with PoDoFo Trunk

Pierre Marchand pierremarc at oep-h.com
Tue Aug 11 02:07:53 CEST 2009

Vous (Craig Ringer) avez écrit :
> On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 01:27 +0200, Pierre Marchand wrote:
> > As you may know, PoDoFo’s moving fast these times, so fast that half the
> > times I need to change something here to get Scribus builds against
> > PoDoFo’s Trunk. The problem is pdf_long has been introduced without any
> > version increment, but at least it was a #define -- was ugly but it
> > allowed to check its presence--,
>
> The introduction of pdf_long was IMO a mistake in the first place.  It
> was done as part of a patchset dom applied from a VC6 user (!) who
> hacked in 64-bit support. Hacked being the operative word as far as I'm
> concerned. If I'd realised at the time I would've protested. I Dom is
> perhaps a bit quick to apply patches, partly because neither he nor I
> have much time to work on PoDoFo. I'd prefer to see it move slowly than
> backwards, but it's not always obvious at first when a patch is actively
> harmful.
>
> There's a bit more upheaval to come I'm afraid as I try to get that
> cleaned up and generally get the integer type situation to a vaguely
> sane point. I'm done with the podofo_config.h change and
> PdfDefinesPrivate / PdfCompilerCompat work, though, unless there's
> something else you'd like to see change there.

As far as I can see, there’s no more problems on Linux about conflicting
defines.  And finally the PODOFO_VERSION_PATCH is incremented! which i did not
notice -- was it an announce on PoDoFo ML about it? So all’s fine this side at
a glance.

Ah, if it comes to change something in PoDoFo itself, I guess I’ll add
PdfStream::GetFilteredCopy(PdfOutputStream * stream) and I would not have to
change much in Scribus then!

Concerning types in PoDoFo, my 2¢ for "the simpler the better". It’s why I
found size_t interesting for public interfaces, but it could be whatever
Pdf_Size that I would be happy as long as I haven’t to cast every time and be
scared of breaking something.

--
Pierre Marchand
http://www.oep-h.com