[scribus-dev] XML Processing of SLA Files

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Apr 18 16:22:04 CEST 2009

Thomas Zastrow wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I wrote a little (Java) program which demonstrates how SLA files can be
> parsed and edited with standard XML techniques:
>
> http://www.thomas-zastrow.de/texte.php?kat=scribus&sf=xmlsla.frg
>
> Perhaps it is useful for someone. As next step, I will try to
> encapsulate the SLA format as a Java library.

Something we might imagine for the future, based on some
comments/questions/requests we get on the ML, would be for someone to
make a layout template in Scribus, then later be able to use Tom's or
another parsing method to create Scribus documents based on that
template along with other kinds of file input. This doesn't subsequently
leave Scribus out of the picture, since some tweaking of the layout
would likely be needed.

For certain kinds of production environments, this would be a great
enhancement. This might even be a bridge between the various Libre
Graphics projects, so that, for example, one could be working in
Inkscape then use a java method to make a Scribus doc from a template.