[scribus-dev] Project for Indian language DTP with Scribus, and Harfbuzz

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Thu Sep 25 13:02:32 CEST 2008

(Hope Igot everything correct this time.)

Hi,
  Please note that this message is cross-posted to
both the Harfbuzz, and Scribus mailing lists, and
trim follow-ups, if needed.

  We, at Sarai, CSDS, run a FOSS fellowship programme
in India, with the fellowships running for a six-month
period. One of the strong proposals that we have received
this year is one from Rajeev Sebastian (copied on this
message) for integrating Indic rendering with Harfbuzz
(or, possibly another library) into Scribus. The ultimate
aim is to enable desktop publishing in Indian languages.

  We are convinced of the importance of this task, and
of Rajeev's qualifications for doing this. However, I
would like people on these lists to comment on whether
reasonable progress towards this can be made in a six-
month time frame. We want to ensure that we are in sync
with Scribus, and Harfbuzz developers, and are not
building something that will not be used down the road.
Would appreciate comments on this.

Regards,
Gora