[scribus-dev] Scribus e.V.: application form and letterhead

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 21:09:00 CEST 2008

2008/9/15 "Christoph Schäfer" <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>

> Hi guys,
>
> Please find attached drafts for the application for membership in English
> and German, as well as a draft for the letterhead. I inserted my address, as
> it will probably be the first registered (with the court) address. All
> members of the first managing committee will, of course, insert their own
> address if and when they use the template. I also added an email address,
> which might be added to the info domain. I suggest that the future chairman
> receive emails sent to the address and then forward them to whoever he
> thinks should handle an issue. Please note that I used Bitstream Vera Sans
> for the name of the organisation, not because I'm a fan of this font, but
> because we use it for the splashscreen.
>
> Once we have agreed on the text for the application, one of our PDF form
> wizards could create a nice form in Scribus ;)
>
> Any comments are appreciated, as usual.

Hi,

I wonder if it would be possible to have a short (non "legal" or "formal")
name for the association, something without "e.V" that I understand is ok to
deal with the bank and the court but is not much of appeal to ordinary
people, especially outside Germany. Here in Québec/Canada the logos of the
enterprises for instance don't have to bear everything, inclunding the
letters "inc." (for "incorporated"). So, a company such as "Bell Canada
Incorporated" (it may even be longer than that!) can do business under the
logo "Bell" only. Of course, the fine print tells it all extensively but
what people see is "Bell" (this is not meant as a publicity!!!). ;-)

Just a suggestion!

Also, I believe it is meant to put the whole Scribus logo on the letterhead,
right? Here, what I see is only the pen.

As for the fees I think it's ok but I am including here the link to AFUL
(Francophone association of Linux users). Interestingly, they have made it
clear people can offer more! Their price list starts lower, however, for
people, and is higher for companies. I have no issue with what Christoph
suggests but some students may find it high? I cannot tell. Only more food
for thoughts.

The info here is in French but it is not so hard to follow, I think (I
hope), even for non-French-readers.
http://www.aful.org/association/cotisation

Would it be possible to get some advice from, say, the FSF or the GNOME
Foundation for the Application form? I believe these larger entities have
trained people to advice on such questions and maybe they could help? I
really am asking this most candidly. I see there is a will to avoid problems
and in those matters I can only suggest to be prudent.

I think we should add a mention on that form as how to pay. Can we make it
clear that a member must renew his membership, say, 30 days prior to the end
or anything like that? It is not automatic that a member will renew. Anyway,
I don't have much time to dig into this at present time but these are the
ideas that pop-up instantaneously!

Cheers,

Louis