[scribus-dev] Odd crashes with Scribus 1.3.3.12

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Oct 12 18:35:38 CEST 2008

Christoph Schäfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> before filing a bug, I'd dlike to receive your feedback on some odd and annoying behaviour of Scribus 1.3.3.12. On SuSE 10.3, I regularly get crashes (of Scribus and the system). The pattern is this: 1) open a few larger files subsequently 2) after opening and closing several of them, Scribus first crashes when it attempts to open another file, then it crashes on startup, and finally it freezes the system.

Define "crashes" the system?

Does it thrash swap to the point of being nonresponsive or OOM-kill
something vital like the X server? Kernel panic? Totally cease all
response including stopping responding to ICMP PING on the network
interface? Does Alt-SysRQ still work on a text console?

To me it sounds like there's a reasonable chance you're seeing memory
exhaustion issues or problems with the Fontconfig cache.

--
Craig Ringer