[scribus-dev] (forw) [scribus-bounces at lists.scribus.net: Forward of moderated message]

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Nov 18 13:50:36 CET 2008

Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:

> Subject:
> Win Rel 1.3.3.12 - not for list - Bug Report with attachment
> From:
> "Tony R." <ajrankine at yahoo.com>
> Date:
> Sat, 15 Nov 2008 04:45:42 -0800 (PST)
> To:
> scribus at lists.scribus.net
>
> To:
> scribus at lists.scribus.net
>

> Hi,
>
> This is NOT meant to be a list posting. I was trying to find the email address of the support group at scribus - no luck. This is only email address I found. I have enclosed attachement as this is a part of the bug report, a word doc file that I have used in this report of the instability of Windows Rel 1.3.3.12.
>
> My task is simple - only typesetting text for a novel.
>
> If you inspect the Word file you will see that each paragraph is of one of the types: Chapter Heading, ChapStart, Dialog or Normal. Most body text is Normal or Dialog. The start of each chapter is the special Drop Capital beginning.
>
> Pretty routine stuff. I import the doc into 1.3.3.12 - loose all reference to my Word based paragraph descriptions - all paragraphs are assigned "No Style". It would be nice if there was some way to preserve this the way the blurb.com "doc" import engine does.
>
> QUES: Is there an OpenSource word processor that allows this info import ?
>
> BUGS: Moving onto the bugs. I have setup paragraph styles in Scribus - no problem. Ctrl-Y (SE) feature brings up SE window, I manually relink the Scrbus para styles to the various paragraphs - slow but doable - HOWEVER - going back and forth between Canvas mode and SE mode, these paragraph style linkages become scrambled, most often becoming "Dialog" with the resultant display in the Canvass mode. The most obvious offender is Chapter Headings go from Arial back to "dialog" para style. Ditto for the ChapStart paragraph right after it.
>
> THIS behavior is spurious. If you append the next chapter etc, etc, the prior information gets corrupted - paragraph styles reshuffled or whatever. Only by doing can you replicate the behavior.
>
> Again, my task is simple - build the novel, chapter by chapter, have "dialog", "normal", "ChapStart" (with a drop cap) and the Chapter headings in Arial Bold, Justified-Right.
>
> Please relay this on to the group at scribus.net responsible.
>
> Can I get download access to Win 1.2.X version that is stable? Something that can layout text and justify it to margins. The basic stuff.
> Many Thanks,

This is the expected behavior with Word documents (perhaps the
corruption notwithstanding). At present, Scribus can only import plain
text from Word docs. However, if you use openoffice.org, you can create
documents in which there is an ability to import styles, with Scribus
creating styles as it goes.

What you might do would be to import your Word file into oowriter, then
save as an ODT file, then import to Scribus.