[scribus-dev] Editable Master Pages

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Jul 31 19:21:06 CEST 2008

Louis Desjardins wrote:

> We need to summarize. We need a table to summarize the ideas that were
> expressed over the years in the bug tracker on Master Pages.
>
> It's getting interesting, isn't it?
Well, it would seem to make sense to me to have a listing/table which in
one column lists scenarios in which the current implementation of Master
Pages is a roadblock or completely unintuitive. Another column indicates
either the desired use or the intuitive approach, and trying to stay
with the layout concept rather than conceiving of a particular software
solution.

Hopefully, such scenarios can be real ones from the mailing list or from
people's experiences rather than theoretical ones. Theoretical uses have
no boundary, but at some point we have to be reductionists.

In a sense, Master Pages represent  a special layer. Why can't they be
more like a regular layer? Why can't the things you can do with a Master
Page be applied more generally -- perhaps have the ability to apply all
the objects on a given layer to as many pages as you want.

One might argue that this defeats the purpose of a Master Page, but it
is appropriate to ask if Master Pages as they currently exist are even
necessary.