[scribus-dev] Scribus review in Linux-Magazin

Andreas Vox vox at steercom.de
Thu Jul 31 18:04:01 CEST 2008

Christoph Schäfer schrieb:
> Hi guys,
>
> OK, here's my reply compilation to the previous answers:
>

>> - The Properties Palette isn't dockable (agreed).
>>

> Craig Bradney:
> "Not critical, or devastating, and wont be fixed until someone comes up with a model for doing this properly. We have ideas, which are not implementable in 1.3.5 due to other outstanding issues."
>
> Reply:
> As Alex mentioned in his reply, the model is already available (GIMP). Craig, please also note that I've not been talking about 1.3.5 here, as we all know what has to be done before the release of 1.3.5. Nevertheless, thinking ahead and contemplating future priorities doesn't hurt, right?
>

>> - The Properties Palette is too big (I agree. This has become a huge
>> problem with Qt4, as it takes about 50% of the screen now. This isn't
>> acceptable!).
>>

> Craig Bradney:
> "As above, and while I think its too big, its about a 6th or less of my screen at home. More styling may need to be applied to the widgets. Petr or someone else needs to work on this."
>
> Louis Desjardins:
> "Not a showstopper. Not a big deal."
>
> It's much too big, and the major issue is the wrong design choice for a Qt tool box. Almost 50% of the PP space is occupied by tool box tabs! If there's a dialog that you need, but you have to move it around all the time to just see your layout, that's a major usability issue and a major restriction to productivity!. Throwing the Qt toolbox design overboard (and return to the 1.2 layout) would already be a major advantage.

What about Franz' latest widget which is already used for text settings
on PP?
>> - There's no way to tear off PP tabs and leave them open while the rest of
>>
> the PP is hidden (Pierre and Franz seem to work on this issue).
>
> Craig Bradney:
> "Really unimportant, and see my 1st point."
>
> It's unimportant compared to the challenges we face with 1.3.5, but regarding productivity, it _is_ important. But as already said, Pierre seems to have prepared a solution that can be introduced with 1.3.6.
>

>> - The Zoom tool is too primitive, and it remains active after zooming. It
>>
> should be automatically deactivated after a zoom. Here's a new idea derived
> from my reading of the article: How about allowing the user to activate the
> magnifier and then let him drag a rubber band around the area he wishes to
> enlarge on screen?
>
> Craig Bradney:
> "Agreed... but nothing new unfortunately. Same in all previous versions."
>
> I disagree with Craig Bradney and myself, because Alex told me the truth: Rubberband selection is already possible :) I'm going to add it to the manual right now. As for switching off the zoom tool once it has been applied, this wouldn't be a big deal, no? It would be a major gain in working speed!
>

>> - Another complaint is still valuable: The choice between scaling and
>>
> moving and item is still a game of chance. This has to be improved as soon
> as possible. I know from experience that this a real showstopper, because
> people are really wasting a lot of time with this unpredictable behaviour.
>
> Craig Bradney:
> "I dont see that game of chance whatsoever, in fact I closed the bug relating
> to this as I am unable to reproduce this at all, on any platform, on
> multiple machines."
>
> Louis Desjardins:
> "? ? ? ? I see no showstopper here."
>
> Craig, it has been improved in 1.3.4+, but it still doesn't work correctly in 1.3.5svn.
>
> Louis, if you need between 4 and 15 attempts to rescale an object because the mouse pointer indicates it's in scaling mode, but instead moves the item, you will certainly agree that this a showstopper (ie. wasted time). I can't imagine you would use that kind of software in your company for regular jobs, as time is money.

One could argue that this doesn't stop the show but extends the show by
a factor of 4-15 ;-)

/Andreas

--

Andreas Vox
Entwickler / Developer

steercom GmbH   	Visitor Address:
Hofweg 20       	An der Alster 37
D-22085 Hamburg 	D-20099 Hamburg

Cell 	+49 176-23 23 06 48 	vox at steercom.de <mailto:vox at steercom.de>
Fon 	+49 40-5 11 16 26 	www.steercom.de <http://www.steercom.de>
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 104293 - Sitz der
Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Vertretungsberechtigte Geschäftsführer: Wolfgang Hackenberg, Carsten
Leminsky

Want to create presentations in less time and of higher quality?
Watch our video www.steercom.com/vct <http://www.steercom.com/vct>