[scribus-dev] Editable Master Pages

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Aug 9 22:08:22 CEST 2008

Andreas Vox wrote:
> Here's my opinion on four options:
>

> Status quo
> ---
> development time:    zero
> learning curve:      flat
> long-term intuitivity:    medium
> flexibility/features:    very poor
> consistency:    poor
>

> Just content editing
> ---
> development time:    low (medium with automatic textframe linking)
> learning curve:        flat (that's what users expect anyway)
> long-term intuitivity:    high
> flexibility/features:    low
> consistency:    high
>

> Style-based apporach
> ---
> development time:    high
> learning curve:      high
> long-term intuitivity:    medium
> flexibility/features:    very high
> consistency:    high
>

> Non style-based approach that allows local editing of objects
> ---
> development time:     medium - high
> learning curve:      high
> long-term intuitivity:    medium - poor
> flexibility/feaures:    medium
> consistency:       poor
>

> Please note that my assessment is independent of the UI (what context
> menu / editing mode / buttons / palettes are needed). For any approach
> there are different UI options which might affect learning curve,
> long-term intuitivity and consistency.
>
> I'm also convinced that the "just content editing" would cover more
> than 80% of user requests.
>
> So I vote for implementing that and reserving the style-based approach
> for version 1.5+
It's hard to know if I agree with the assessment, yet nonetheless I like
it, though I'm worried about this 'high' assessment of learning curve
for the style-based approach. Hopefully there might still be some basic
"MPs for Dummies" operations that could be very simply used, like page
numbering or putting banners on pages.