[scribus-dev] Editable Master Pages

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 23:08:58 CEST 2008

2008/8/6 Andreas Vox <avox at arcor.de>

> Am 06.08.2008 um 15:06 schrieb Louis Desjardins:
>
> 2008/8/6 Andreas Vox <avox at arcor.de>
>

>> No need to change the GUI here, except for how to enter MP mode. For
>> un-synching / synching the user would have to do the following in my
>> proposal:
>>
>> - unlock the MP object on the ordinary page, then edit it
>>

> Contextual menu.
>

>> - resetting some object properties would synch that property with the MP
>> again
>>

> We need a small dialog so we see the properties? or can be through a
> contextual menu too, what do you think?
>

>> - deleting the object would remove the MP object from the ordinary page
>>

> Right.
>

>> - a new dialog would allow to re-add deleted MP objects to the ordinary
>> page
>>

> Where would you like the user to be then? On the MP, right-clicking on the
> object, making the dialog appear and have the option to put it back on page
> X or more? Something like that?
>

> I'd say the user has to be on the page where he deleted the object in the
> first place.

Yep. Makes sense to me too.

> Like a context menu on the page background or some normal menu which would
> give you a list of deleted MP objects to choose from.

Not too keen about such listings but I guess it's worth giving it some
thoughts.

>> I have a proposal for that:
>>
>> a) all objects get a "role" attribute, which might be empty.
>> b) text frames get an "auto-link-to" property which takes a rolename.
>> c) when a text frame which has the "auto-link-to" property set overflows,
>> Scribus automatically links to the next object with the same role as the
>> specified "auto-link-to" name.
>> d) The next object is found by looking for objects which are placed below
>> the current object on the current page or which are on top of a following
>> page (yes, that means the text would reflow if you reorder two auto-linked
>> frames on a page. And it's not so easy to create textframe links that run
>> against the page order)
>>

> In essence, I agree with this proposal. But I am not thinking of any
> top/below hierarchy, either on the same page, or on different pages, to set
> the link-to frames because from what I understand the user have not all
> control on the text flow. Is that right?
>

> If there is more than one frame with the same role on a page, we have to
> decide which one to take. That's why I propose a "top-to-bottom in general
> and left-to-right if frames have the same y-position" strategy.

I am thinking of more possibilities but I realize it may be a programming
issue. Quark 7 doesn't allow more than one chain on one MP. But this chain
can be done with just about any number of frames on that page. The first
"frame" to link from is the upper corner link icon that means every page
created with this MP will be linked to that chain.

For many years we believe this is a limitation we'd like to see disappear...
It's not flexible in heavy layouts such as catalogues. So we end up doing
the linking by hand. It doesn't take that long but in fact it is both feet
on the brake to any further changes then.

But I follow you on the main idea of this "role" attribute and the
"auto-link-to". Once a MP is created with all its frames, some will be
linked to all pages bearing the same MP and some will not.

My proposal would allow automatic linking between pages with different MPs.
> just the roles have to match.

I understand but at the same time, we cannot have 2 stories running side by
side on odd and even pages. I understood the contrary when you mentionned
that the bilingual book scenario would be covered by your proposal. How
would you achieve such a book, then? Would that be possible? There are quite
a few collections made like that in school edition, for instance.

> 1. The frames that will be linked need only to be tagged as "to be linked"
> to the *same* frame on *next* page to which this particular MP would be
> applied. That way, you can set as many chain of text frames as you need.
> 2. The frames that are un-tagged are created on each page too but are not
> linked.
> 3. Plus, you can also set 2 or more frames to be linked together on a
> single page, but not to the next page.
> 4. And finally, you can have a set of frames in a structure where all those
> frames are linked together on a single page and are also flowing in the next
> set of identical frames on the next page. That is, the last frame in the
> chain gets a tag to be linked to the next first one of the chain on the next
> page.
>

> The same can be done on facing pages. With the particularity that we could
> set the links to run on the full sequence of the pages, 1-2-3- or 1-3-5 and
> 2-4-6.
>

> Hm, that would introduce text links between masterpages. I dont think that
> would work well, since you could apply the MP to a left side but not the
> matching MP to the right side, so the link would get broken.

See my question above about the case of a bilingual book.

I assume that anyone doing such a layout would know what he's doing and
would not create a case where a link would be broken. At the same time, I
don't really see what is the issue if a link ends at some point. Actually, I
don't understand what you mean here!

Easiest to implement would be to disallow any manual links on MPs (you can
> still simulate fixed links if you create unique role names).

Are you saying here that even if manual linking is disallowed, it will still
be possible to link frames on a MP? I mean, without automatic text frame
linking? I think that in fact, this is a must!

Louis