[scribus-dev] Editable Master Pages

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Aug 2 18:32:47 CEST 2008

Louis Desjardins wrote:
> 2008/8/2 "Christoph Schäfer" <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
> <mailto:christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>>
>

>     The problem is that a master page may contain several layers.
>

> Imagine the mess, now. Several layers into a master page... Where will
> this lead us?! (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I agree. The solution is not going to be to make Master Pages more complex.
> Master Pages are in fact a locked layer. The containers (empty text
> and image frames) are locked. The content is uneditable and locked.
> This works perfectly and has a predictable behaviour, always. At least
> in Scribus.
>
> Maybe the problem is not named correctly? Thus, it may lead us to
> think the issue is the Master Page. It may well be elsewhere. The
> issue now is to allow going back and forth while editing the layout,
> from idea A to B to C then back to A or A', endlessly. And this of
> course defeats the idea of the Master Page concept. If a Master Page
> can be further edited downstream, this can have many effects on the
> operations downstream too. Such as proofreading, quality control, and
> finally, printing. And costs, of course.

Maybe having a Copy To... function would help -- where you could copy to
the same page with particular coordinates, a different page with the
same or different coordinates, all pages, or a range/selected pages. I
don't have a fixed opinion about this idea of being able to edit one
copy then have all of them sync together -- maybe the best thing there
would be to use the Action History to go back to the point before you
did a Copy To..., edit the original, then Copy To... once again. OR,
have a dialog with a list of objects in the document, where you can
click one or a number of them and carry out a collective operation,
including delete -- perhaps just adding capabilities to the Outline dialog.