[scribus-dev] Editable Master Pages

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sat Aug 2 16:44:20 CEST 2008

"Hopefully, such scenarios can be real ones from the mailing list or from
people's experiences rather than theoretical ones. Theoretical uses have
no boundary, but at some point we have to be reductionists."

I don't think so. We have proven ways to work with Scribus quite flexibly. Why not adapt them to master pages?

"In a sense, Master Pages represent  a special layer. Why can't they be
more like a regular layer? Why can't the things you can do with a Master
Page be applied more generally -- perhaps have the ability to apply all
the objects on a given layer to as many pages as you want."

The problem is that a master page may contain several layers. My proposal tried to extend the current implementation of layers to avoid the mess seen in QXP and ID by listing layers in master pages separately (they'll need a visual indication) and to move items between layers on real pages and layers on master pages or even complete layers if the user wants to do that. The Document Outline is one place to do this easily, but there could be others (eg the Layers dialog if layers should be moved to between regular pages and master pages.

Christoph